2024-03-16

Day -: Lydford to Stockholm


March 13
Horses: 1

To me, thinking about walking /doing something like the Lejog is a bit (very) overwhelming, so I divided it into smaller parts, Land's End obviously, Lizard also fairly obvious, Frenchman's Creek, Jamaica Inn, Bodmin Moor, all places I wanted to see. Next on the list are Dartmoor and Belstone. The plan for today would be walking across Dartmoor, wild camp on one of the Tors and tomorrow revisit Belstone. The wild camp was already off, since there's live firing on the army shooting range for a couple of days, but the rest I could do (making sure to stay out of the danger zone).

When I woke up this morning I had a very sore throat and my head was foggy. Also, the weather was very poor, very windy with sideways rain. It seemed that a decision had been made for me, I'm going home. It's been expensive enough staying at hotels while walking. Just being stuck in one place waiting to get well would be both difficult and expensive.

So I packed up and checked time tables for Heathrow. There was a connection via Okehampton and Exeter at 9.53. The timing was a bit tight so I didn't dare buy the whole trip at once, but only bought the next ticket as I got to that stop. I made it all the way.

When I got to Heathrow I realized I hadn't left my room keys at the Fox and Hounds. So, off I go in search of a post office. There was one at terminal 3, not far to walk and the whole thing was sorted in less than an hour.

The only photo I took today, a cleaning robot at Heathrow airport. I must be ill 😂

After using the wrapping service to protect my pack on the plane I bought a plane ticket for the 19.00 SAS plane to Stockholm. There was just enough time to get a proper meal, I had to bring it and eat it at the gate, though, that's how late I was. I was quite worried about sinus pain or popping an eardrum because of the cold, but it was ok. I've been dizzy all day and also very happy I brought a couple of face masks. I don't want to infect anyone else.

And now I'm back home, trying to figure out how to best continue when I get well, which isn't as easy as it sounds since there is a set date when I need to be in Oban.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ulla we are sorry to hear you are unwell. We think you were amazing and very brave to attempt this challenge, especially in the English weather. We really hope you feel better soon and can resume your incredible journey. May be one day you will pass our door again.
    Sal and Jerry, Fig Tree House

    ReplyDelete