2024-03-02

Day 1: Land's End to Penzance

February 29
Kilometers: 22
Ascent: 380
Horses: Dartmoor ponies 4, Shetland ponies 4, horses 2
Coos: 43

I was on the bus to Land's End and met Francesca from the hotel. We walked together to Sennen Cove where we stopped at the pub and then went our separate ways. When I reread Alan's blog I saw that his first day was almost exactly the same as mine, so I decided to follow his route, since it looked better. 

The morning was cloudy with a few drizzles. Also, I found many "Private Road"-signs and I had to make a couple of detours from the route to find public footpaths. The gates were very varied!
The "gate" to one footpath

The afternoon was lovely, with occasional showers. I was walking across some heathland when I came across a couple of Dartmoor ponies. They were intrigued by my poncho, it was both scary and exciting, flapping in the wind.
As the day wore on the paths got muddier and the last public footpath was very overgrown and muddy, with downed trees and thorny things (brambles?). It was very time-consuming to get through, but I finally made it to my hotel in Penzance.

No comments:

Post a Comment