2024-03-05

Day 5: Chyheira B&B to Helford

March 4
Kilometers: 17
Ascent: 220

I have decided to walk for a charity. I'm still choosing between two cancer research organizations, and before I left this morning the hosts of Chyheira B&B kindly offered a donation. So nice!

Today was going to be bad. Very windy and gusts up to 50 mph. And lots of rain. I had planned my route on roads and country lanes all the way, I was just worried about one stretch, 2.5 m/4km very exposed. As it turned out the day wasn't too bad, maybe because I was prepared. Because of the rain I couldn't take too many photos, though.

I passed Goonhilly Earth Station halfway across the exposed section.

At times I had to walk very slowly because the wind was so strong, but the biggest problem was my poncho. When it's raining hard I wear it as extra protection, since goretex wets out sooner or later. So far I've stayed dry, except for my feet. But the wind was difficult. I use an elastic clothes line as a belt of sorts, to keep the poncho in place, but the wind was so strong that it pulled up the poncho and it got in my face. Today is actually the first time I've appreciated the high walls and hedges along the road, they block the wind very well.

Thanks to walking on roads there was no mud, but I wasn't expecting this! The water was deep, halfway to my knees, so my waterproof socks were no good. I walk in trainers and this is a good thing, since boots would have filled up and taken forever to dry. There were three or four more "lakes" to cross before I got to Helford and I came to the conclusion that my waterproof socks work like a wetsuit, they keep my feet warm. So far, in spite of rain and mud, my feet haven't been cold.

The last 1.5 miles I had a walking companion. A sheep dog of some kind joined me and walked ahead of me all the way to Helford. 

Home for the night!

I was the only guest, so I got the largest room with the best views. But the room was very cold and there was only cold water, so I moved to another room. A bit smaller and no armchair but still a nice view.

No comments:

Post a Comment