2016-05-11

Day -2, To St Jean Pied de Port

After traveling for over 30 hours I have finally arrived in St Jean Pied de Port. I flew from Umeå to Paris, where I spent the night at Hotel Ibis Orly. My room was nothing like the photos on booking.com, I had to pay €10 to get the room I had actually booked. It was so worth it though, I slept like a princess. After a great buffet breakfast I walked back to the airport and took a bus to Montparnasse station. 

I had more than two hours to spare, but the station was huge, with a lot to see. The first thing that struck me was all the police and soldiers. With all the events in Europe of late I'm not surprised. 

After buying lunch for the train ride, I met 3 German and 1 Canadian pilgrims, and there are many more on the train. Most are going to St Jean, but some are going to Irun, to walk the Camino Norte, along the northern coast of Spain. 

It was very nice to arrive at Albergue Beilari (formerly Esprit du Chemin), where I started my first camino as well. That time I arrived late and left early next morning, so there was no time to see the town. This time I have scheduled an extra day here. 

I have managed to keep the weight of my pack down this time, I think it weighs 3 kilos less than the last time. When I told Hans this he replied 'Well, you're at least 3 kilos less trained'. So, we'll see how this turns out!

The Pilgrim Office of St Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment