2014-02-21

Sauntering/Släntrande

When I walk I usually listen to music. I have chosen songs that go with my pace and keeps me from slowing down. This morning I walked 9 K with 11 kilos on my back, yesterday I walked just over 7 K with 8.5 kilos and today I found it difficult to keep up with the music. I started thinking about something I read the other day concerning the word 'sauntering'. It is believed that the origin of the word is from vagrants in medieval times. The would walk from house to house, begging for food and claiming they were pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land, the Saint Terra. They were called saintterrers, which would turn into saunterers. True or not; I am now one of them . My pack slows me down, and I have become a saunterer/saintterrer. I just hope my pack won't weigh 11 kilos when it's time to saintter for real!

Släntrande

När jag är ute och går lyssnar jag vanligtvis på musik. Jag har valt ut låtar som hjälper mig hålla lämpligt tempo, och som hindrar mig från att sakta ner. I går gick jag drygt 7 km med 8,5 kilo i ryggsäcken och i morse 9 km med 11 kilo i ryggsäcken. I morse var det svårt att hålla tempot! Jag kom att tänka på något jag läste häromdagen, om ordet 'sauntering' (släntra). Man tror att ursprunget till ordet saunter kommer från medeltiden. Luffare som vandrade från hus till hus och tiggde mat och husrum sade sig vara på väg till det Heliga Landet, Saint Terra. Luffarna kallades saintterrers, vilket så småningom utvecklades till ordet saunterers. Oavsett om det är sant eller inte så har jag nu blivit en släntrare, en saintterrer. Jag kan bara hoppas att ryggsäcken inte väger 11 kg när det är dags att släntra/saintter på riktigt!

1 comment:

  1. If you are coming to el Camino I hope you can get the weight of your pack down. Mine weights just over 7 kg without food or water bit sometimes it feels like a ton.
    We visited today the museum of evolution in Burgos. It completed the visit to the digs. The best part was the explanation of the archaeologist at the digs.
    Hint: If you want to visit the digs you need to call ahead of time and make a reservation, it seems like the tours are often full. We took the tour starting at the visitor centre just outside the town of Atapuerca.
    Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete