2024-02-28

Day -1: I'm in England!

Last night my plan was to be in bed by 9. I didn't quite make it, but at least I was all packed by 9.30 and in bed by 11.
Today I got up at 3 am to make the plane to Stockholm. I had some time before the plane to London, so I bought a ham and cheese sandwich and walked around the airport. It's been remodeled and there are many new restaurants, cafes and shops.


I borded the next plane, to London Heathrow. The flight was uneventful until we got to central London, where the pilot did an S-turn, which meant that we cold see a lot of the city.


Passing customs and passport control was super fast and I was soon on a bus to Winchester. I checked in to my hotel and went in search of a gas canister and a sim card. A gas canister was not to be found in central Winchester and EE couldn't sell me a sim card since I don't have a British bank account. I finally managed to buy a prepaid sim at Sainsburys, so I now have a working phone. Yay!

Then on to the cathedral. After the death of Alfred the Great in 901 AD England was officially unified in 927 with Winchester as its Capital City, so of course a grand cathedral had to be built. It is beautiful but I visited right before closing, so I couldn't really spend all the time I wanted. Maybe another time!

I was looking for hardware stores hoping to find a gas canister when I overheard someone behind me saying something about a nice jacket. When I didn't react he yelled STOP! I looked around and saw that he had the same kind of jacket on, an EE Torrid. Same colors and all. 

Back to the hotel to repack. I had a bag with everything that was to large (backpack, Siren sleeping pad) or wasn't allowed (walking poles, tent pegs) as carry on. Also all the food. Everything else I carried in a cheapo storage bag, to make sure nothing was lost. 

When I was finally getting ready for bed I realized I hadn't seen my tent pegs. I tried to remember if I'd seen them, but was too tired. My guess was that they were at the bottom of the pack and that I'd missed them, but I had to make sure or I wouldn't be able to get any sleep. So I unpacked everything, found the pegs at the bottom of the pack and repacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment